My thoughts on “12 Ways Nichiren (SGI) Buddhism is Different“.
To put this list in pure bulleted form:
- You do not have to convert to Buddhism to chant
- The goal of this practice is results
- In this practice, each person is a Buddha
- We have a living mentor
- There are no lifestyle, diets, rules of behavior or “paths” to memorize or carefully trod
- Desire is not the enemy
- There are no clergy, no robes, no temples
- We are changing our karma every time we chant
- The main practice is reciting the words Nam-myoho-renge-kyo over and over
- The SGI does not discriminate for any reason
- There is no guilt
I agree with this list for the most part, and I’ve decided to take a deep dive into each bullet point in future posts. Stay tuned!
Buddhist Next Door